Credit Goad to: Volunteer Student from Pakistan (Ayesha Rukhsar)
It is an inner passage, intending for a better and happier life. It is a process of inner change, embracing a positive mindset, getting rid of negative habits, building new and positive ones.
Self-improvement usually starts with awareness of ourselves such as our behavior, strength & weakness, the desire to improve, transpose ourselves, and our habits.
Self-improvement is a passage for anyone who wants to excel in life must take. It does not matter in what area you want to excel and progress, whether it be in your business, in your work, in your studies, in your marriage or in your spirituality.
All aspects of our lives can only truly improve if we could be responsible to improve our self-esteem. The greatest area of such improvement that will impact all other areas of our lives, is improving ourselves.This can be at several levels:
- Enhancing your KNOWLEDGE
- Enhancing your SKILLS
But it should be clear that even improving your skills first demands to improve your knowledge. So we can conclude that all self-improvement begins with self-growth in the area of our knowledge.
“Man’s mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.” -Oliver Wendell Holmes, US author & physician (1809 – 1894)
The mind is the thing that we must stretch in order to broaden our reality and abilities. Without a stretched and open mind that is accepting of new ideas and information, self-growth is an impossibility. But with such openness and receptivity to new ideas comes great duty. This is because not every idea or theory is correct. Some things are wrong and some things are dangerous which can be destructive.
Therefore, we must use our judgment and discernment in deciding what ideas to accept and what ideas to reject. Accepting correct ideas and information will lead to success. Accepting the wrong ideas and information can lead to failure and frustration.
Here also the circle is completed because having such judgment and discernment requires that we must have the decision making knowledge and strategies to make the right decisions. So again, knowledge comes out on top.
Here Below are some steps that can help you to build your self-esteem.
How to Build Self-Confidence in 8 Steps?
- Think about what you have already done in your life
- Focus on what you did and achieved, not on what you did not do and did not achieve
- Write down a list of your achievements and success
- Think of your talents and abilities
- Strengthen your willpower
- Set small, simple goals
- Develop a positive attitude
- Give yourself motivational talks
“You Cannot Always Change Situations, but You Can Change Your Attitude or way to tackle that situation”
I am sure that there are certain situations and affairs in your life that you would like to change. Often, it is quite simple to make changes, but we let laziness, procrastination or fear to stand in our way.
You might be astonished to hear that many of the changes you would like to make are within your reach, and often, within your immediate reach.
For example, you might always complain that you have no time to read. If reading is so important to you, what’s so difficult to arrange your day so that you can find the time? You can always get up half an hour earlier in the morning, or give up half an hour of watching TV in favor of reading a book.
As I mentioned above “You cannot always change a situation or circumstances, but you can change your attitude toward it”
How to Stop Thinking Negative Thoughts
“Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you’ll start having positive results.”
– Willie Nelson
“Make the decision and say, ‘I’m not letting that worry in. I’m done being upset when my plans don’t work out. I’m not letting that stress in.’ Negative thoughts will still come to your mind, but you don’t have to let them into your spirit.” – Joel Osteen
Thinking that the worst is going to happen, awaiting failure and disaster, and seeing the disadvantages instead of the advantages, ensures that you stay passive and do not try new things. When bad things happen, you do not get disappointed, because you have already awaited them.
Simple Self-Improvement Techniques that will lead to enjoying as well
Here is how to proceed with this technique:
1. Look at the people around you, and watch how they react.
2. If you detect a certain behavior or trait of character that you do not like, examine yourself closely, as impartially as you can, and find out whether you too, act in the same way.
3. If you discover that you possess some unwanted trait of character, think about how to change this behavior, and how you want to act when you are in a similar situation. Then, whenever you have the time, mentally rehearse the new behavior.
How do you do that? You visualize yourself in various situations, behaving and acting in the way you want to behave and act.
4. It would also help if you think often about the importance and advantages of a different, and more positive behavior.
5. Tell yourself over and again that you will remember to act differently, next time you are in a condition that pushes the behavior patterns you want to change.
6. At first, you will forget to act as desired, but keep visualizing and thinking about the new behavior patterns, and you will see how your behavior gradually changes.
Tips to Overcome Laziness
- Break down a task into smaller tasks
- Rest, sleep and exercise
- Have a vision of what and who you want to be
- Think about benefits
- Thinking about the consequences
- Doing one thing at a time
- Repeat affirmations
- Regards a task as an exercise
- Learn from successful people
“I can accomplish my goal.”
“I have the energy and motivation to act and do whatever I want or have to do.”
“Doing things makes me stronger.”
“Doing things makes things happen.”
Overcoming the habit of laziness is achieved through a series of daily actions and activities, when you choose to act, instead of remaining passive. Every time you overcome your laziness you get stronger. Every time you choose to act, you increase your ability to win, achieve goals, and improve your life.