This residency program is part of the “Project to Support Emerging Media Arts Creators” organized by the Agency for Cultural Affairs, Government of Japan (Bunka-cho in Japanese). Emerging artists in Media Arts (Media Geijutsu in Japanese) around the world are invited to come and stay in Tokyo to create new works. Whether the works are media art, videos, games, animations, or manga, the artists will be able to experience Japanese Media Arts culture, with additional opportunities to meet with Japanese creators to discuss their works. The aim of this program is not only to support the realization of works and research projects but also to stimulate cross-cultural dialogues through Media Arts.
- University or Organization: Project to Support Emerging Media Arts Creators
- Course Level: Project
- Award: Fully Funded
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: 3
- Nationality: International
- The award can be taken in Japan
- Deadline: 30 September 2019
- be currently living outside of Japan and be a citizen of a country other than Japan.
- have previously shown works at international art festivals, film festivals, game shows, comic festivals, etc. Being awarded a prize or included in the Jury Selection at the Japan Media Arts Festival in the past.
- be between the ages of 20 and 35 (not definite, as applicant’s previous career will also be considered)
- be able to speak either English or Japanese fluently enough to communicate in everyday situations.
- be in good health.
- be able to participate in remote interviews (i.e. have access to a computer with Skype connected to the internet).
- have no criminal records.
How to Apply
Complete the application form :
and upload the required documents
- Head shot of the applicant
- Documents providing information about birth date and citizenship. (E.g. a copy of your passport photo ID page)
- A digitally scanned file of the consent form found on the link below with your signature
- Documents showing that the applicant’s previous works/projects have been shown in international art festivals, film festivals, game shows, comic festivals, etc. If previous works/projects have been awarded prizes or included in the Jury Selections of the Japan Media Arts Festival in the past, please verify with the documents.
- Proposal and action plan of the project that
*Please make a concrete proposal that includes the detailed contents and plan of your work/project.
*10 pages maximum in A4 size, format not specified
- Portfolio of your previous works and projects
10 pages maximum in A4 size, format not specified
*If you want to include movies, upload online and put the URL in the application form.
The following will be provided by the program:
- Travel expenses (round-trip airline ticket from the country of residence to Tokyo)
- Living allowance (including travel expenses for research and creation inside Japan)
- Travel insurance
- Housing in Tokyo
- Location in Tokyo
- Opportunities to meet Japanese creators and experts
*No application fees are required, but the residents are responsible for the production expenses.