In April 2016, Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo Tech) started the Global Scientists and Engineers Program (GSEP). Under this program, qualified international students who have little or no proficiency in the Japanese language are now able to enroll at Tokyo Tech to pursue a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Japan.
GSEP is a program for international students striving to be scientists and engineers with a global perspective in
- University or Organization: Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Department: Bachelor of Engineering
- Course Level: Bachelor/Undergraduate
- Award: Fully Funded
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: Not Known
- Nationality: International Students
- The program can be taken in Tokyo
- Program Start: March 2020
- Application Deadline: 5
To apply as a student supported by the MEXT scholarship:
- Applicants must be residing outside of Japan.
- Applicants must be nationals of a country with which Japan has diplomatic relations
- Applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1995.
- Overseas applicants who have completed (or are highly expected to have completed) 12 years of regular schooling or have graduated from the equivalent of Japanese high school prior to arrival in Japan. Those who have acquired a qualification to enter a Japanese university by other means are also eligible.
- Successful applicants should arrive in Japan between April 1 and April 7, 2020 as designated by MEXT.
How to Apply
Please download a set of application documents.
Application materials must include the originals of first three, and a photocopy of the other documents, listed below. Remember to keep
- Application form for GSEP
- Check Sheet
- Photocopy of Passport
- Photocopy of Official Transcripts from High School
- Photocopy of Certificate of Graduation or Expected Graduation issued by the Applicant’s High School.
- TOEFL, TOEIC, or IELTS Test Scores
- The “Payment Verification” page (printed copy)
Submission of Application Documents
The completed application documents must reach the Admissions Division of Tokyo Tech no later than September 5, 2019 by registered mail, courier service, or other similar services.
Undergraduate Admissions Group
Student Services Department
Tokyo Institute of Technology
W8-103, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8550 JAPAN
- Tokyo Tech will not accept any documents received after the stated deadline or any incomplete applications.
- Tokyo Tech cannot respond to inquiries regarding receipt of individual application documents. The applicant is responsible for the tracking and receipt verification of all materials. Tokyo Tech strongly encourages sending the documents by registered mail, courier service, or other similar services that provides tracking numbers and receipt verification services.
- Submitted documents will not be returned under any circumstances.
- Admission to the program can be withdrawn by Tokyo Tech at any time, even after enrollment, if the application documents are found to be invalid or to contain false information.
- Applicants will be contacted by email when additional documents are required to be submitted. Therefore, applicants are urged to check their email at least once a day. If the applicant fails to read and reply to email messages within the application period, that may result in losing his/her eligibility.
- Applicants with disabilities and other health-related are requested to notify the Admissions Division prior to the application period.
The admission process consists of two screenings:
|Preliminary Screening||Evaluation of submitted documents|
|Secondary Screening||Interview and written examinations (Written examination will cover high school level mathematics, physics, and chemistry)|
|Application Period||August 19－September 5, 2019|
|Preliminary Screening Results Announcement||September 27, 2019|
Preliminary Screening Results will be sent by email.
|Secondary Screening||September 30－October 31, 2019|
|Admissions Results Announcement by mail|| November 20, 2019|
The results will be sent by mail. Inquiry by email is not be accepted.
|Enrollment Procedures||March 27, 2020|
|Start of the Semester||April 1, 2020|
- Students who have been accepted for a MEXT Scholarship will not be required to pay the admission or tuition fees.
- The MEXT scholarship provides a monthly stipend of JPY 120,000 for undergraduate students. The amount of the stipend is subject to change in accordance with the directives of the MEXT scholarship program.
- In accordance with MEXT regulations, students will be provided with an economy-class air ticket from the international airport closest to their place of residence in their country of nationality to Narita or Haneda International Airport.